Wednesday, December 14, 2011

So Then... (On Trust)

Now that we've kind of covered the why of this whole post, here are some more things I've been wanting to share with you.

Things that match the level of commitment we have to each other.
I wonder if that makes sense.

Anyway:

I've been thinking about the idea of trusting people.
I'm very, very quick to trust people. And to reveal to them parts of me.
Not with EVERYONE... but probably quicker than most.

But really trusting people.
We live in a world where people do things like act like they are your friend, only to sell you something. Or to get something out of you at little to no cost to them.
It's fraudulence. And it's begun to scare me.

When are people being kind to me with no alternative motives? When is someone telling me something beautiful for the sake of being honest? When can I trust people?
And the real answer is, you either can, or you can't.

I don't think I'm capable of not trusting people. I am relational. I'm an extrovert. That's part of what makes me me. I wear my heart out on my sleeves, feel deeply, act passionately, swing the pendulum a lot, etc.
I also feel deeply for people, share in their sorrows. Rejoice in their victories, and deeply desire to help them whenever I can. I want to help people.
What I'm afraid of, again, is being taken advantage of for this desire in me.

Truth says: this is where discernment comes in.
But I often forget to ask the Spirit ahead of time to grant me the wisdom I lack.
Again, people seem so good. So real. So alright to trust. I don't expect the worst from people. Not usually.
Not mostly.
Nearly not ever.

And that scares me too.
I don't want to operate out of fear.
But the realization that people have taken advantage of my kindness strikes a chord of ache in my heart.
I am motivated to not do so anymore.
Or not as much.
-Though I really doubt that that's what I'll end up doing. ;)

But see, I'm trusting you. By the mere fact that you're reading this page right now. That you've been given access to this blog. That means that I trust you.
How do I know you are trustworthy?
I can't. Not totally. I have to trust that you're trustworthy.
Isn't that interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment